From: web400-admin@midrange.com [mailto:web400-admin@midrange.com]On
Behalf Of Justin Houchin
Sent: Friday, November 22, 2002 10:37 AM
To: web400@midrange.com
Subject: [WEB400] Static Forms and the refresh button

Good Morning,
            Here is the scenario.I have a static form that has about 12
fields in it. This form submits the data to a CGI program I have called
NEWCUSTSET.  This program accepts the customer's first name, last name,
address, etc.to create a new customer account. The NEWCUSTSET program
sends back a response web page saying that the customer account has been
created successfully. In the CGI program I calculate a new account
number for the customer. If you hit the refresh button on the web
browser (IE6.0), on the response page, it will resend the data to the
program thus using the same information to create a new account and
assigning it a new account number. So a customer service rep could sit
there a hit and keep hitting the refresh button  creating a thousand
accounts with the same user information. Awhile back I asked this same
question and received an answer to create a form with a "Random ID
Number". Well I thought about how to use this and realized that you are
still in the same predicament. Let's say instead of a static form page I
use a CGI program (NEWFORM) to display the form page with a Random Id
number. When the all information is entered into the form, it will be
sent to the NEWCUSTSET program. The NEWCUSTSET program will read the
information from the data stream, write it to the customer file, and
create a response web page. Well if I refresh the response web page I
still have the same data in the data stream. There is really nothing
that I can do if I generate a Random ID. I think the approach we need to
take to this is to find some JavaScript to disable the Refresh
capability on the response page. Any suggestions??????

Thanks;
Justin Houchin
Programmer and Web Developer
www.reliatek.com