> From: "Buck Calabro" <Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net>
> we are finding more and more that there are very few heads
> down data entry tasks left.

If that were true, then database files would be shrinking!

> Tomorrow, the customer's inventory system will web service
> our order entry system, which will web service a verification.
> No subfile at all.

There does seem to be a trend to shift data entry operations closer to
originator of the transaction and away from middlemen.  Patrons book their
own hotel reservations, for example.  But subfiles would be useful in that
scenario too.

> If the customer wants to see a real-time status, the generated
> panel won't look like a subfile.

That sounds like a step backwards.  If the status includes a list of items,
and the user needs the ability to modify, delete, or otherwise "work with"
the items in one way or another, then an input capable subfile is the best
interface.

If you've ever worked with a list of items that included "move", "copy",
"modify", "delete", or other types of "work with" hyperlink adjacent to each
item on the list, then I'm sure you know what I mean.  What a royal pain!  A
good example of this is the Jobs list at www.iseriesnetwork.com.

> But we positively have lost sales because prospects will
> not look at us without either a Windows GUI or a browser
> GUI.

Man, can I ever relate to that!

Nathan M. Andelin
www.relational-data.com