Interesting John, that my book was given to new hires at IBM
Toronto to help them learn RPGIII back before the RPG IV
language was built. David Knott, at the time, bought dozens of
copies and had them in his office, available to those who needed
them.

Those that "say it was a rehashing" number how many? Is that
"many who say..." line just a fabrication? Probably.

Bob Cozzi

jpcarr@tredegar.com wrote:

> ----------------------------------
> So did the first RPG training you received cover buffer
> overflow?  I am
> guessing not.  Is the person(s) who taught you RPG at fault for
> not
> teaching
> you that?, in your opinion they are.  My point is that you as a
> person get
> to go through the struggles of learning the RPG language.
> Through that
> time
> you will develop opinions of what is important and what is
not.
> There are
> many many things that could be said about what Stone, Cozzi,
> Coulthard,
> Farr, etc. . . have left out of their books.  Unless the book
> says
> "Comprehensive Guide" on it you shouldn't treat it
as such.
> .
> ---------------------------------------
>

> I've resisted this thread, but have gotten drawn in.
>
> Hans you're right.    Brad you are right.
>
> Hans,  the code review process that you go thru and testing
that
> You go
> thru(writing compilers for IBM for customers paying Millions of
> $$'s )
> would stop all development in most shops.
>
> You are also correct about the need of accuracy in the
> explanation of a
> subject.    But Brad has also did a great service to alot of
RPG
> people by
> ,  as Aaron said
> " I found that the e-RPG book got me up and running in no
> time with the basics that I needed to know to start CGI
> programming with
> RPG.  "
>
> Should there be a Manual, or Reference guide to show all the
> idiosyncrasies
> of things like CGI programming?  Of course yes.
> (BTW, Daniel,  many have said that Bob Cozzi's first book
Modern
> RPG was a
> rehashing of the RPG Reference manual -;) no offence Bob).
>
> So,   Hans there is a place for(and an audience for)
> information on a
> subject that doesn't go into the n'th degree about a subject.
>
> And be humble because,   Gee,  I seem to remember those
> WONDERFUL  RPGII
> 1/2 examples in the SYS/38 and AS/400 RPGIII manual.   Should
we
> pick one
> of those things up and point out what a wonderful job they did
> teaching
> millions of programmers HORRIBLE RPG techniques?    I never saw
> one IBM
> example say (for instance)   "Hey, watch that Z-ADD with
those
> overflows "
>
> Hans you have to think like you do for the place you work and
> the code you
> write.   The wizards in websphere studio for example cannot
> afford to build
> error prone code for the user.
>
> However do not confuse that level of coding and it's associated
> documentation and instruction with the fact that  for  a good
> many people
> "a little bit of learning"  is a good place to
start, then after