Thanks to all of you for your replies.

Justin

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-admin@midrange.com [mailto:web400-admin@midrange.com] On
Behalf Of Brad Stone
Sent: Tuesday, September 10, 2002 3:43 PM
To: web400@midrange.com
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Advantages of Apache

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 11:22:04 -0400
 "Joel R. Cochran" <jrc@masi-brac.com> wrote:
> > > 2.  If you want to do Virtual Hosting, you need to
> switch
> > > (and then wait for
> > > V5R2 as I understand it, but at least you'll be
> ready).
> >
> > Define Virtual Hosting.  Classic does do virtual
> hosting
> > (the way I'm thinking of it).
>
> What I mean by virtual hosting is having multiple
> domains, each with their
> own unique configuration, but running on the same server
> instance.  Oh yeah,
> they all come into the same port number and all of these
> are managed in the
> same httpd.conf file.  One instance, one conf file, one
> port, unlimited
> domains, unlimited configurations.  This is one of the
> major reasons Apache
> is so popular in the web world (and coming soon to a 400
> near you!)

You can do this with classic already, just as you explain.
Of course, I prefer having a seperate config for each web
instance, which both can do.  And on the 400 the ability to
assign multiple IPs to a single interface makes it a no
brainer.

And I thought pbA could do this already, but maybe not.  I
know the *nix version can.

Also, I don't think most realize that classic is based on
CERN, which in it's day was popular (and still is, I have a
CERN web server for my windows box).  Hopefully a GOOD web
admin would be familiar with both.  I mean, CERN is so
freakin easy to config, if even someone who only knew apache
couldn't figure out Map, Exec, and Pass directives in 10
minutes, I'd probably fire them.  :)

Again, choosing which to use is really pure preference.  The
both do the same thing.  pbA is nice... but it really has
more than someone needs which causes confusion.  For
example, how many config lines in pbA do you need to set up
CGI?  Classic... one.  pbA, well, lets just say it's more
than one.  ;)

CERN sticks to the KISS mentality.  But, I like both.  But
right now preference is CERN for it's simplicity, although
I'm using pbA for "testing".  So far, it's worked great.

Brad
www.bvstools.com