I just installed V5R1 with the latest CUM, converted an original server
instance to an Apache instance, and tried to start it.

On the 1st attempt it gets msgid HTP8420 with errno 3406, which is CPE3406,
which says

Message . . . . :   Operation would have caused the process to be suspended.
Recovery  . . . :   A resource is temporarily unavailable. Try the operation
  again later.

At this point, the log file was created, and the member added, so I tried
again.

On the 2nd attempt, it also gets msgid HTP8420 but this time with errno 0:

HTP8420    Diagnostic              10    08/23/02   10:35:18   QZSRAPR
QHTTPSVR    *STMT    QZSRCORE     QHTTPSVR     *STMT
    From module . . . . . . . . :   QZSRSNDM
    From procedure  . . . . . . :   sendMessageToJobLog
    Statement . . . . . . . . . :   11
    To module . . . . . . . . . :   ZSRVMSG
    To procedure  . . . . . . . :   send_log_open_failure_msg
    Statement . . . . . . . . . :   18
    Message . . . . :   Error occurred opening log file
        /QSYS.LIB/QUSRSYS.LIB/LPHERRLOG.FILE/HTTPDLOG.MBR.
    Cause . . . . . :   The log file could not be opened during HTTP server
start
    up. As a result, the HTTP server did not start. The log file name was
    specified on the ErrorLog directive in the HTTP Configuration file. The
    error number received was: 0. Recovery  . . . :   If the error number is
    value other than 0, determine the meaning of error number and perform
the
    appropriate recovery for that error. If the log file name is in error,
    correct the name specified on the ErrorLog directive in the HTTP server
    configuration. Correct the errors and restart the HTTP server. Technical
    description . . . . . . . . :   Error number (errno) 0 was received when
    trying to open the file. To determine the meaning of the error number,
do
    one of the following: - Use DSPMSGD CPExxxx, where xxxx is the error
number,
    to display an error message containing more information about this error
    number. - Display one of the following files that contain descriptions
of
    error numbers:  QSYSINC/SYS, member ERRNO and QCLE/H, member ERRNO.

What's going on here?  Am I missing a PTF?

tia,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050 voice