>From: Brad Stone [mailto:brad@bvstools.com]
>"Web" vs. "in house" is what I said.

I don't mean to imply public accessibility, internet access, or any other
Amazon-like delivery other than the sole requirement that the client-side
install be limited to a web browser and the server supply HTML. Are you
saying that a "browser based" in-house system can't handle it?

>Unless you're selling one item with no options, things get tricky.

Sure. But they get tricky anywhere. They are more tricky in 5250, in VB, in
Java or in HTML.

>What you will present to the web user and what your CSR will want as far as
detail will differ.
>...the level of detail that they want is much more than a user on the web
will require.

Sure, and they will use different browser-based apps. I'm not suggesting
that what works for me as a customer of a company works for internal CSRs,
simply that the internal app can be browser-based.

>I also think a GUI may be the solution

Isn't a web browser GUI?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse. And this customer may indeed have some
special need that can only be satisfied by a fat-client. However, given
Aaron's statement that he's been asked to "look into...GUI" and that he's
"planning on using CGIDEV2 to start" I assume that the current solution is
5250 based. I find it hard to believe that there is something that a 5250
based solution could deliver that a HTML-based one couldn't. I'm talking
about functionality, not interface, so don't tell me that a browser can't
handle F23, I know that. However, the same _functionality_ could be achieved
with a hyperlink.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President