OK - the other thing you MUST think about...

The CGI thread is the ONLY one being requested... the appropriate images cause
their OWN threads to be used to download stuff.  Hence a "Hit" is something
happening on that server.

So - to speed up our 400's, we used Akami's 4000 (now 40000 from what I hear!)
redundant image servers to deliver our graphical content, speeding up our
server a TON because the ONLY hits on the system were now static HTML and CGI
calls.  So 10 "hits" on the site with a single CGI program outputting HTML
isn't an indication of anything BUT the above situation - no graphics being
downloaded.  That's why image servers can save your tushies sometimes.

As far as efficient software to perform these outputs, the AS/400's matrix is
.8 something per CPW for a CGI program in V4R4 (last time I saw the matrix on
performance was in a Redbook!) .3 per CPW if it was in SSL mode.  Static HTML
pages serve (as long as they are cached!!) at about 1.8 per CPW, un-cached
stuff serves at about 1.2 per CPW.  NOW - Net.Data SQL is rated at about .4

I'm enclosing the table as an attachment... (if you don't get it - let me
know!) but it came out of an IBM redbook...)

This was what we used to determine how we could get 25 thousand hits per second
we needed to serve our average E-mail response...

Our site was NOT static, but reacted per customer...

Andrew Borts / Webmaster
Seta Corporation
6400 East Rogers Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33499