Joe Pluta wrote:

>> Hans, this statement smacks of elitism, and denigrates and belittles
>> everyone on this mailing list.  I'd wager to say that a good number of the
>> programmers on this list would eat your lunch in any real-world programming
>> task.  Even those dinosaurs who don't understand OO have forgotten more
>> about application programming than you'll ever know.

Yikes, Joe... I didn't get that impression from Hans at all.  When I read his
post, I considered how education "grooves"
your thinking.  When I was in school, structured code was all the rage.  Most
of us who went through that had top-down
design beat into our heads so our first experience with OO was a difficult
transition.

I know more about computing and networking that my dad ever did (he coded a IBM
1401 in the 60s) and my son will
probably know more than me.  Growing up, I never had a network in my house to
play with.  My son can rip apart a PC with
the best of them; his networking skills rival his high school teachers.

I think Hans' intent was to show that our generation may not understand OO was
well as the next generation who don't
suffer the same prejudices and "training" as we have.  I didn't read his intent
as saying our generation is incapable of
understanding OO; I just think he was pointing out the difficulties with
teaching old dogs new tricks. Of course, there
are always exceptions. There are many on this list who have been able to
transcend their "education."

In my own case, I agree with him.  I don't think I'll ever be as integrated
with OO was my son will be.  That's ok.  As
a father, I want my children to have it better than I do.  It's with a
tremendous sense of pride when I refer to him as
my "padawan learner."

dan