Would you consider a game (like Diablo or Age of Kings) is *at least* as
complex as the benchmark business application?

dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@plutabrothers.com]
Sent: Monday, July 15, 2002 6:31 PM
To: web400@midrange.com
Subject: RE: [WEB400] Re: Resort back to RPG?

> From: Joel R. Cochran
>
> I fully acknowledge the limitations/drawbacks/differences between coding
> Business Applications in RPG and Java.  I would like to add one part to
> Joe's challenge of writing a "non-trivial business app in OO" and
> that is to
> do it in a manner that is platform independent and supports a thick-client
> GUI.

What needs to be platform independent?  The business logic or the user
interface?  My opinion (and it most definitely is an opinion, your mileage
may vary) is that the business logic has no need to be platform independent.
Only software vendors need platform independent code.  People who USE
software can decide on a hardware platform for their server and stick with
it - in fact, it is unlikely that an end user will want to change their
server platform, so it behooves them to pick one they can live with for
years or even decades.

The UI, on the other hand, needs to be as widely accessible as possible.
Whether this means a portable thick client interface or a standard UI such
as HTML, the point is that the UI should be decoupled from the business
logic.

Guess what?  RPG does that just fine.  That's why I designed my architecture
to support both a thick and thin client.  Right now PSC/400 only
auto-generates the browser, but we're working on a thick client interface.
Once we've standardized our thick client interface, we'll be able to
auto-generate that as well.

Joe Pluta
www.plutabrothers.com