Seems like I heard these same ideas when structured code was introduced.
Looking at market forces (and IBM's response),
ILE RPG looks *more* like an OO language than it looks like RPG/400.  Sure, the
syntax is the same (mostly) but the
structure is vastly different.  I haven't seen java adapt a procedure model
yet.....

As I have said in the past, use the tool that fits the job.  That also means if
you have a bunch of RPG coders working
in your shop, java may be relegated to niche applications.  The needs of the
business must dictate the requirements.  If
you don't have the expertise in java (and you don't want to hire Joe's folks to
help) you need to stick with what you
know.  On the other hand, if you feel java will give you a strategic advantage
(decreased development cycle, reduced
maintenance costs, etc.) then you should pursue java with a fervor.  Sound like
many folks want to delve in java with a
foot firmly planted in well understood technologies (like RPG).  However, the
early adaptors will have distinct
advantage in the marketplace.

Another issue is finding RPG expertise... anyone else having medium to large
problems finding qualified RPG resources?
At school, we only offer our RPG tract once a year.  Reason? We can't (pardon
the expression) put butts in the seats.
However, the java courses are offered every quarter.  Here at Honeywell, we
have a devil of a time finding RPG resources
for our site (just outside Dayton, OH).  There are no RPG resources that live
in town; everyone drives 30-50 minutes
each way.

just my two cents...  You guys have covered the pros and cons quite well...

thanks

dan