I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier!  I know it's coming a little late, but I'm
going to put my 2 centavos in anyway!

The flow for XML coming to an AS/400 and responding is as follows, and it took
me a little bit to "get it"

A System sending XML to an AS/400 can POST a request to an HTTP server to the
AS/400, at which point the server responds using Standard Out to respond to
those requests.  When doing it in the opposite direction, one needs to open a
socket on port 80 to do this, and post the information TO the remote server,
then receive their "Standard out" - Brad Stone has a wonderful utility called
GETURI which does this beautifully.  When the response is given, the GETURI
command then places the information into an output file, which you can parse up
however youd like it.  Alphaworks is a set of API's that perform some of the
parsing and other such niceties for you, however it's a HUGE amount of API's
you need to figure out, and frankly you can with a few minutes of programming,
search for the information returned from UPS that way.

UPS however also provides their own utilities for the AS/400 however that do
these same functions, and you simply have to set up a message, format it, use
their utility to send it to them, then receive the answer, and parse that
message up.  No HTTP server required...

As far as what I did as a solution, when I had to receive XML documents from a
vendor, I received standard IN (using the standard API), parsed it up with
RPG's sting handling routines, then set environment variables, and passed them
to DB2WWW (which I called from the RPG program directly!) (Net.Data for people
that don't recognize this), and had it format the XML output for me.  I was
rather pleased with the ease of formatting of the XML output using this method.
 Use IE to review the documents output from the AS/400 because it will error
check the document for formatting problems, since XML is a rigid standard.  The
output to IE is colorized as well.

Andrew Borts / Webmaster
Seta Corporation
6400 East Rogers Circle