Joe,

Thanks for clarifying finding that. I updated the Tomcat startup
script at http://www.iseries-toolkit.org to help others. The scripts
are available by following the Anonymous CVS links to the
src/sh directory.

David Morris

>>> joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com 05/13/02 09:35PM >>>
> From: Joe Pluta
>
> So now the question is: does anyone know how to set the user.dir
value for
> standalone Tomcat?

And in case anyone cares, the answer is...

Define the user.dir value by using -Duser.dir="myfileroot".  ThIs
magic
value represents the "current working directory", and is used as the
base
for all relative file naming DONE through java.io.  There is only one
value
per JVM, so care must be taken when setting this value - I suggest you
do it
in your startup script.

Joe

P.S. Undoubtedly this is "common knowledge" somewhere in Unix land.
However, it's not common knowledge in the world of the AS/400, and it's
not
readily found in any documents.  Heck, even after I figured it out, I
still
didn't find any direct reference anywhere on the web that says
specifically
that the contents of "user.dir" form the case of the java.io.File
relative
path.  In fact, I only found it myself by doing a whole bunch of
empirical
analysis - basically I dumped everything in sight and compared the
differences.  This sort of "programming lore" is the kind of thing
that
makes the concept of true platform independence just that much harder
realize.