>I am sure that works for most characters, but I
>don't believe the iSeries natively supports
>UTF-8. It works because UTF-8 duplicates the
>Ascii character set for the first 255? positions,
>and then uses a varying length encoding scheme.
>UTF-8 is the default encoding if nothing is specified
>
>but I would feel more comfortable with ISO-8859-1
>in the United States.

Hi David!
  I suspect this is some artifact of WebFacing SP5, as I didn't encounter
this error on earlier service packs.  Why IBM-generated classes destined for
iSeries would use UTF-8 is beyond me, but it's a hard stop and the only way
around it is to tell WAS that UTF-8 encoding is possible.

I too would be more comfortable with 8859-1, but I don't think I can
influence the way WebFacing generates the classes.
  --buck