Buck,

I am sure that works for most characters, but I don't believe the
iSeries
natively supports UTF-8. It works because UTF-8 duplicates the Ascii
character set for the first 255? positions, and then uses a varying
length
encoding scheme. UTF-8 is the default encoding if nothing is specified

but I would feel more comfortable with ISO-8859-1 in the United States.

David Morris

>>> Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net 05/13/02 04:11PM >>>
Kevin said:

>I am trying to use IBM's Tomcat to serve the
>jsp's and servlets created using the websphere
>webfacing tool.  I have my application
>webfaced and can successfully serve the
>first page of my application but when I
>try to use the application I get this error.
>
>The check field was received incorrectly by the
>application server.
>
>This is documented in the Configuring UTF-8 support in
>WebSphere Application Server section of the
>WebFacing Guide.
>
>Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get these
>pages to work properly?

I know that the subject line says 'Tomcat' but it sounds like you're
really
using WebSphere.  I had this exact same problem with WAS 4.0.2
Edition. I posted the question and answer in the
ibm.software.websphere.application-server.as400 newsgroup.  I suggest
you
subscribe to it; the IBMers hang out there and the archives tend to be
very
helpful.

Here's what I did:
Admin console, select the application server you want to change
Choose JVM Settings
  System Properties, Add
    NAME                      value
    file.encoding               UTF-8
    default.client.encoding     UTF-8

Ib IBMer from France added the following:
'There is a difference to configure UTF-8 in WAS 3.5x and
 WAS 4.0 From the WebFacing documentation of WDT on PC:
 Configuring UTF-8 support in WAS 4.0 Advanced Edition
 Select the JVM Settings tab then click the Advanced JVM
 Settings button. The Advanced JVM Settings dialog opens.
 In the Command line arguments field for the Advanced JVM
 Settings, add the value:
   -Dclient.encoding.override=UTF-8
 Click OK in the Advanced JVM Settings dialog and then click
 the Apply button under the JVM Settings tab.

 For this change to go into effect for your WebSphere
 applications, stop the Default Server and then restart it. To stop
 the server, right-click Default Server and select Stop. After this
 process has completed, right-click Default Server and select Start.'

  --buck