On 12 May 2002 at 13:02, Joe Pluta wrote:

> > From: Gary Kuznitz
> >
> > I would really like it if you would not take this discussion off
> > list.  I am planning on bringing up Tomcat when we get v5r1 and
> > would really like to know the steps required to get it installed and
> > configured optimally.
>
> Gary, have you brought up Tomcat on any other system?  I highly
> suggest that as a starting point.  Most of the problems I had were due
> to my lack of expertise with Tomcat, and on the other hand, the main
> reason I was able to find answers is because I was at least passing
> familiar with it.
>
> Tomcat, especially native Tomcat, is a Unix animal at heart, and if
> you're not comfortable with shell scripts, it's going to be a long,
> error-prone process.  You also need to be very familiar with the IFS,
> as well as with basic Java concepts.
>
> All that being said, with David's patient help, I was able to get
> native Tomcat up and running in about two hours, and reconfigured my
> software to run under the new environment in another hour or two.
> Then we had a powerout.  Late last night (and early this morning) I
> fnially managed to run tests, and found that Tomcat 4.0 native runs
> nearly identically with WebSphere at both low and high loads.  It in
> fact runs a little better under light loads and is statistically
> identical (a difference of less than 3%) under heavy load.
>
> I have a couple of shell scripts that I modified from David's
> orginals, as well as a couple of programs that submit all the
> necessary CRTJVAPGM commands.  When you're ready, ask me for them,
> although I think I'll probably publish the whole nine yards as my next
> WebSphere column.
>
> Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks for the input.  To answer your question, I have not brought up Tomcat
on any other system.  I had planned on waiting till we get v5r1 before I start
learning it.  Maybe I'll think about finding a PC to load it on  Do you know of
a good email list PC related to get me over the hurdles?

Thank you,

Gary Kuznitz