>Do you think that CGI is the right architecture to replace green-screens?

The "Pat" answer to this would be;  They both have their strengths and
weaknesses.  Even though this is the Pat answer this is also very true.  I
don't have enough fingers and toes to count the amount of times that I have
run out of room on a green screen so I make some poor improvisions.  But I
also find creating useful UI's in the browser cumbersome (mostly because I
have done a lot more green screens than browser interfaces).

I don't think that the browser is a great place to develop, yet.  The reason
I say that is because I have yet to see a well written app for the browser.
You also have to create your own "state" when going to the browser unlike a
green screen where it is a constant state.

Our company has about seven development groups, and right now we are working
on creating a state-less, normalized, file-less program structure.  We are
doing this because we are finding that our business is changing so rapidly
that we can hardly keep up, so we need to develop software for re-use, and
ease of modification.  I know people get touchy when you say that you want
to take the files out of your program, but if I access my data by doing
something like this. .

eval    Custname = CustFile_Custname(1234)
vs.
FCustFile IF    K DISK
 1234  chain CustFile
eval    CustName = CSCSTNAM

. . . I can make my programs file-less, reusable by other front end systems
needing to get at my data, and modification of the CustFile is very
simplified.  And I don't loose a lot of performance if programmed right.

Aaron Bartell