I've been out of the loop for a couple of days or I would have chimed in
earlier...

The only thing I can say is that I have had no problems, performance or
otherwise, with the "pbA" version.  I can't really provide a benchmark
because the 170 I ran the Classic server on and the 270 I'm now running
Apache on are too disparate.  I've never had a problem with the pbA server
creating extra jobs.  Performance is unbelievable... I can return thousands
of records in just a few seconds over a 700+ DSL line.  We got this machine
in July and it was probably mid-August before we went live on the web.

And now some CYA: I am not making any further recommendations, simply
sharing my positive experience.

Joel R. Cochran
Director of Internet Services
VamaNet.com