Joe, it's unusual to spot you on a soapbox :)!

Unfortunately, the Blue party line will be, "Do you want us to limit new
functionality by maintaining 100% compatibility with
old/obsolete/unsupported releases?"  Even more unfortunately, there is
economic merit (for both vendor and customer) in answering that question
with a "no".  IBM has done pretty well in keeping things consistent for many
years and we've developed a zero-tolerance mentality to system changes.  How
much are we missing because of "compatibility"?

This is one more area where we've been spoiled rotten, although there are
lots of areas where we've been abused like red-headed step-children.  Didn't
a couple of commands/etc. change early in CPF, or am I thinking about
something else?

One of the strongest arguments for compatibility is that it eliminates
problems associated with the introduction of new code.

Although I wasn't directly affected by the library list mess, I can
sympathize with those who were, especially since there's a strong argument
that this problem was an IBM design oversight with OS/400 V1R1 and never
should have shown up this late.  My iLife is not heavily dependent upon
API's (except through CGIDEV2); the problem is once the veil is torn away
from the face of compatibility, who knows where it will stop...perhaps I'd
have to go through my code and change my treasured "ROLBK" to "ROLLBACK"!

I'd like to hear IBM explain what we're losing by keeping our software "dial
telephones" in service.  With sufficient notice and overlap in old and new
functions, it might not be too bad.

Regards,
Reeve Fritchman
reeve@ltl400.com