Mark,

I had the same problem when I got our new V5R1 box... here is an e-mail from
Shannon O'Donnell that finally got us over the hump...

******** QUOTE *********
I had the same problem recently with a V5R1 box.  Couldn't get the *ADMIN
server started no matter what I did.  I applied ALL the latest PTFs, etc..no
luck.

Finally,  I looked at the iSeries HOST and DOMAIN information and discovered
the problem.  Here's the solution that worked for me.

CFGTCP

Select option 12 - Change TCP/IP Domain Information
 Note the values for:  HOSTNAME AND DMNNAME (Domain Name).  For example:

HOSTNAME =  MYDOG
DMNNAME = ISTIRED.COM

Therefore, your DOMAIN will be MYDOG.ISTIRED.COM

Select option 10 - Work with TCP/IP Host Table Entries
Make sure you have a HOSTNAME in there that matches, exactly, the DOMAIN
information from the previous step.
For example, if your IP address is 192.168.2.1

Then you'd have an entry in the HOST table like this:

Internet Address:  192.168.2.1
Host Names:   MYDOG.ISTIRED.COM

Once those two pieces match, you SHOULD! be able to start the HTTP Server
*ADMIN instance.

On V4R5 and below, they don't have to match exactly. V5R1 and above, it
appears that they do.

Other problems might be if you are using SSL with HTTP. That can cause
problems. There's a workaround, but it escapes me at the moment. If you are
in that situation, let me know and I'll see if I can rediscover the fix.

Let me know if this fixes the problem. I'm curious if this was just an
anomoly on my system, or if it is a fix that spans boxes.

Shannon O'Donnell

Joel R. Cochran
Director of Internet Services
VamaNet.com