> We "currently" have no internal lan people hitting the as/400 web site -
it would not matter if they hit the web server or not. It's more a matter of
how
much traffic flows on local lan (which your iSeries also connects to). It
sounds
like all local and web traffic competes for the same 10 or 10/100 ethernet
lan.

> and about 40 PCs that can surf (and I know of at least a couple
> that will occasionally do radio or video streaming over this same pipe...)
Need a corporate policy. No internet radio, no streaming anything that is
not company business. (one customer found that 80% of their peak
traffic was between web radio and s*x related stuff). Threaten to bill the
departments the cost of the upgrade!. No surfing except business! There
is lan software to control this. If owner/management unwilling to enforce
this
then only alternative is a much bigger pipe-tell them a minimum full T1 to
handle business & radio & stock tickers & news updates & blah blah...

i think 512k too small for router. Don't know formulas to calculate,
but all packets from all web customers & surfers thru that funnel.

jim franz