If your CGIDEV2 template looks like this...

/$select
<select>
<option /%selecteda%/>A</option>
<option /%selectedb%/>B</option>
<option /%selectedc%/>C</option>
</select>

The first time you display the template, just set the variables to no
string:
c callp updhtmlvar('selecteda':'')
c callp updhtmlvar('selectedb':'')
c callp updhtmlvar('selectedc':'')

On subsequent form returns, you can dynamically turn on the select status

c if option = selectedoption
c callp updhtmlvar('selected'+%trim(option) : 'selected' )
c else
c callp updhtmlvar('selected'+%trim(option) : '')
c endif

This is a way of doing it without explicitly generating the select
information programmatically. CGIDEV2 might have a better way, but I haven't
explored it fully.

HTH,
Loyd