  • Subject: Shakespeare and "registration" was RE: CGIDEV2 and Sign-ups ( was Mixing GET and POST Methods)
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 12:03:15 -0700

Falstaff said something to the effect of "He who steals my purse steals
trash, but he who steals my good name..." I think with Falstaff it was kind
of a tossup.

My only objection to registration is the obvious market research and the
amount of work required on some sites.  The way I handle it on sites where I
really want whatever they want me to "register" to get is to lie.  It gets
pretty easy after a while.  Name, gender, birthdate, occupation, income....
are all whatever you say they are.  I'd like to think people are renting
many conflicting versions of me. Some of the forms are really time
consuming.  I can fill out the normal freebie trade magazine form on paper
two or three times as fast as the web version.

+---