  • Subject: Re: Mixing GET and POST Methods
  • From: jon.paris@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2001 08:26:41 -0400

 >> What, in your eyes Jon, is extra special about CGIDEV2?

The fact that it is a complete set of wrappers for just about all aspects
of the job.  Everything from receiving input (without having to know the
source) through validating and converting numerics (with the error message
capability built-in) to the building of the output, through debugging etc.
It is not perfect, but it is very good and  the examples are all fully
documented and based on the supplied template programs.

 >> What is in it that couldn't be done by knowing the APIs, SQL, HTML,
Javascript, etc?

Nothing - but as your own posts showed when the new APIs were introduced a
release or so back - it isn't always easy to get through IBM's "terse"
documentation.  In addition, since you _get_ all of the source to all of
the wrappers as well as the samples, those who want to know the nuts an
bolts can easily obtain that information.  I, like you,  like to know what
goes on under the hood, but I hate having to reinvent the wheel.  CGIDEV2
satisfies me in that respect because I can just use it or take the time to
understand how it works.

 >> Would knowing how to do these things be more valuable, or are the
tools?

Both.  CGIDEV2 satisfies two audiences.  Those like me who want to know how
it works and those many hundreds that I've met at seminars etc. who don't
care.  They just want something that works (almost) as easily as DDS/EXFMT
- CGIDEV2 gives them that while allowing you to see how the engine works
and modify it if you wish.  It seems to be getting an "open source" feel
with various people adding enhancements and Mel building new features into
the base.

+---