  • Subject: RE: Web based password change system
  • From: Andrew.Lutz@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 13:29:21 -0500

Actually,

Something does happen

1. password screen is presented
2. you enter id that is has expired password
3. You get the lovely Error 401 (as if you pressed cancel on the password box)

What I did is create a unsecured area for the index.html only, secured area
for all  the rest.  This allows you to provide some assistance to the
'frustrated user' like giving them the 1-800-IHATEPASSWORDS number to call.

Secondly, I start reminding users on the validated pages that they should
change their password if it will expire soon.

You can:
     determine when the password will expire with the IBM security API
     change your password once you are validated to the system with the IBM
security API

You cannot
     do anything but call the help desk once your password expires (because
you cannot get to validated status)

If you come up with a different solution PLEASE, PLEASE let me know.

Andrew

                    "Bartell, Aaron

                    L. (TC)"                To:     "'WEB400@midrange.com'"
<WEB400@midrange.com>
                    <ALBartell@taylo        cc:

                    rcorp.com>              Subject:     RE: Web based password
change system
                    Sent by:

                    owner-web400@mid

                    range.com

                    07/03/2001 12:25

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to WEB400

Is there a way to tell if the password is expired other than letting the
user sit there starring at their browser waiting for something to happen,
but nothing ever will because they are expired?

Aaron Bartell