  • Subject: RE: CGI-RPG performance question
  • From: Andrew Borts <andrewb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 10:07:05 -0500

I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt, that CGI programming should not be
the bottle neck... but I want to point out the following;
1) The Activation group MUST BE NAMED!!
2) Be VERY aware that this is no longer a single job performing... it is
more likely a thread - serialize them in RPG by using THREAD(*SERIALIZE) in
the H spec if you are performing I/O ... This makes all the iterations of
the program within the thread to file in one at a time for serious I/O
3) QTEMP can sometimes be your enemy because of more then one person is
using it now - remember the thread thoughts ...
4) Here is IBM's Suggestions as to the speed of Web activity on an AS/400
and their factors...

Multiply by CPW Rating for the per second count

Type of Internet Activity       Speed Multiply by CPW to get per second
responsese
HTML Cached     1.81
HTML Not Cached 1.18
CGI New Activation Group        .07
CGI Named Activation    .44
CGI SQL New Activation  .06
CGI SQL Named Activation        .43
Net Data HTML   .24
Net Data SQL    .15
Java Servlet    .40

 I will say this much - Net Data SEEMS much faster, so don't be afraid to
do it based on this chart.  Servlets also feel VERY quick!

Andrew Borts / E-Commerce Project Leader
Seta Corporation
6400 East Rogers Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33499

E-mail: Andrewb@setacorporation.com