Jean,

After experimenting with a number of ways to "get our 400 on the web" (like
Seagull's JWalk and Lotus Domino), we've settled on using the IBM HTTP
Server to serve static web pages and Net.Data to call RPG programs for
dynamic content (via Net.Data's DTW_DIRECTCALL function).

We have played with using just RPG for CGI programming, but it doesn't
match well with our skill sets around here.  Our RPG coders don't know HTML
or XML (and for the most part are not interested in learning), and I still
don't know much RPG yet, but I picked up Net.Data quickly (my background is
HTML, JavaScript, Active Server Pages and Visual Basic).  It lets us keep
all of our business logic in RPG, and just use Net.Data to generate the
HTML or XML to display to the user.  It's not perfect, but it works out
pretty well for us.  My only fear is that IBM dumps Net.Data.  Performance
is pretty nice, even on our old model 170.

If your RPG programmers are comfortable with HTML, you may want to go the
all RPG route.  Check out the stuff Brad Stone's done at www.bvstools.com.

So, to answer your other questions, the database is DB2/400.  We keep all
data on our production 400, and use a smaller 400 (now a 270) as the
webserver.  They're on the same SNA network and we use DDM to get the data
to the webserver for RPG programs to run against.  We do have a couple of
web apps that are completely Net.Data using SQL, and we use DRDA to get
data directly from the files on the production machine.  But we want to
convert them to RPG, as it tends to run faster (although on the new 270,
things are quite quicker).

Not saying it's the perfect solution, but it works quite well for us.

Mike Eovino
E-commerce and Customer Development Manager
Estes Express Lines
http://www.estes-express.com

The views, opinions, and judgments expressed in this message are solely
those of the author.  The message contents have not been reviewed or
approved by Estes Express Lines

This communication is confidential and is intended to be privileged.  If
there is a problem with this transmission, please contact the sender.  If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
communication is strictly prohibited.

>Hi all,
>
>I was just looking at Mel's CGI website. It's very cool!
>
>Does anyone have any experience, or know that it's being implemented in
>real business world -- using CGI with RPG -- besides Mel's easy400 site?
>Is it recommended, in terms of performance?
>
>We just want to learn to put some front end applications to the Web, so
>we want to know our options.
>The other thing, what database usually used? Is it on the server -- acts
>like a web server? -- or should it resides on the host -- AS/400?
>

>Thank You,
>Jean

+---