On 15-Jul-2016 06:29 -0500, Stuart Rowe wrote:
<<SNIP>>
I am also not sure "how else" a subsystem may get started.

There may be no other possible means to start a subsystem without an actual invocation of the STRSBS command, other than perhaps [if even they do], the end of the IPL effecting the implicit Start Subsystem for the Controlling Subsystem Description (QCTLSBSD), and the implicit start of the QSYSWRK subsystem as side effect of having started any other subsystem while in restricted-state.

I do not recall if there might be other possible [implicit] effects for start-subsystem, initiated by OS code, for which the STRSBS command is not utilized; I do not even recall if the OS code has an available [macro that expands a] call interface to the STRSBS function that bypasses the command -- other than, conspicuously, OS code having directly coded a CALL QSYS/QWCCSUUC PARM('SBSD__NAMESBSD__LIBR'), which would be regarded as inappropriate, but not impossible.

I think saving a copy of the subsystem description and deleting it
might be my best bet.

Having read ahead [and commenting there\inline], I would disagree; the SBSD apparently would need to be restored eventually, so the deletion would be temporary.?

We have some software that, as part of its duties, may need
to start its subsystem to run some services -- but in restricted
state we do not want that subsystem popping up unexpectedly.

Conspicuously, if a subsystem is started while operating in a restricted-state environment, then the system is henceforth, no longer in restricted-state. But AFaIK, the only way that subsystem would be started is by a user-initiated request; there are no services I am aware of, that by their design intention, would allow a system job [the only jobs active while in restricted-state] to initiate the start of a subsystem.

I can stop the software from starting it, but not the operator
(unless I delete the SBSD altogether).

That would seem to be a training issue? Otherwise, the authority to the SBSD should suffice?; if necessary, optionally providing a program to effect the Start Subsystem (STRSBS) of that specific SBS, with use of adopted authority, and predicated on not being in restricted-state. Likely, the only subsystem that should be started by the operator, while operating in restricted-state, would be the Controlling Subsystem Description (QCTLSBSD), as the means to /start/ the system; i.e. to take the system out of restricted-state in the generally-intended manner.?