On 14-Jul-2016 12:39 -0500, Stuart Rowe wrote:
On 14-Jul-2016 12:31 -0500, Stuart Rowe wrote:
I've been looking around for a while and can't figure out a
way to absolutely prevent a particular subsystem from starting.
Maybe it's not a common need. Anyone have any ideas?

[…] subsystem description that is user created.

Responding here, for lack of the discussion posted to midrange-l

Delete Subsystem Description (DLTSBSD) would be the most effective, and quite nearly absolute; though additionally may be required, is to revoke\grant authority to the user(s) that should not be allowed to request Create Subsystem Description (CRTSBSD).

Resource authority to the *SBSD could prevent access by select user(s), thus preventing Start Subsystem (STRSBS) by those users. However controlling resource authority for an existing *SBSD may not be sufficient, depending on the means utilized for effecting the start of the subsystem.

Of probable value would be Learning how the SBS is being started, and then addressing that specific request\effect; e.g. issue the Remove Autostart Job Entry (RMVAJE) plus adjust the authority of user(s) to the associated subsystem of that AJE, and\or adjust authority for Add Autostart Job Entry (ADDAJE) to prevent the user(s) from using that, to prevent reintroduction of that as means to have started the subsystem.

The Command Analyzer Retrieve Exit Program with Exit Point Name QIBM_QCA_RTV_COMMAND or Command Analyzer Change Exit Program with Exit Point Name QIBM_QCA_CHG_COMMAND could probably also suffice, though I am unsure if some start requests may occur without the use of the command; e.g. probably the case, at least for the controlling subsystem? That could enable restricting the command according to the invoker and the Subsystem Description named on the SBSD() parameter, or perhaps with the Replace Command Exit Program (QCARPLCM) API used as the exit program for QIBM_QCA_CHG_COMMAND to effect invoking a custom STRSBS.