Also if your total heap size is small (it should be set to 1024K), you can increase it by editing the eclipse.ini file and changing the -Xmx parameter to a different value. However two things: Make sure it is in multiples of 512 (512, 1024, 1536, 2048) and make sure you factor in your available physical memory (I recommend no more than 25% of it; in my case I have it set to 2048, or 2GB, as I have 8GB of physical memory). Of course, the more heap tied up, it may affect your PC's performance.

I have seen where it fills up the heap fast; this is usually a memory leak introduced by IBM (I would think inadvertently) but it hasn't been as much of an issue of late. I haven't had it surge into the red zone when viewing the heap usage for quite some time now.

-----Original Message-----
From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Brian May
Sent: May 11, 2016 09:27 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Weird problem all of a sudden

On a mild tangent....

Why is the heap filling up? How much RAM do you have? What are you doing when it fills up?

Go to Window>Preferences
Under General, check the "Show heap status" option

At the bottom of RDi, you should now see your current heap size and also have a button to run Garbage collection if it gets out of hand.

Brian May
Solutions Architect
Profound Logic Software
http://www.profoundlogic.com