From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Hockings
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:33 AM
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Installing RDi on a new PC

Yes, that is the way to do it, the doc that you reference has instructions
for both 9.5 and 9.1. The installer that you start from launchpad will
basically do all the steps for you or the referenced document points to
some .bat files that will also assist you without doing the download of the
full installer.

Sorry for being a bit terse, by "installer" I mean the install image that
you download as a .zip and unpack to your PC to install from. My
assumption was that I was providing some assistance to someone who had
previously successfully done the install and was just having difficulties
finding the installer again.

The Activation Kit is also a .zip that contains the license and a readme
about how to apply it. It too would need to be unpacked before use For
older releases on ESS the .iso (disc image) format is used instead for .zip
but you can unpack that using a tool like 7zip (http://www.7-zip.org/) or
if you are on Linux you can just mount an .iso image using the loop device
(mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path-to-the.iso /path-to-mount-dir) then copy
the files from it to your disk for install. The original intent, I think,
was that program products from ESS would be written to a DVD or CD for use.

When you kick off the install by starting the launchpad from the full
install image it will install (or update) IM and install RDI without you
having to be worrying about the details of what to install and configure to
install RDI itself.

Mike

Mike Hockings, M.Eng., P.Eng.
IBM Rational Developer for System z and Power Systems Software Technical
Support
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory