On 1/14/2016 2:11 PM, paultherrien wrote:
I know I don't truly understand, but can you not scan the source code for your
file name?

I started in Ye Olde Dayes, and many years ago developed the habit to
search or filter when looking for a file name. I never really adapted
to the Outline View. This is a bit of almost-real code, and a perfect
example of why a search is not optimal:

* Get county
county chain rcounty
* county not found
if not %found(county)
clear rcounty;
countynm = 'NOT FOUND';

Now since this witty block of code uses file-specifications, Outline
View picks up on it and I can easily pop along to just the I/O - CHAIN,
SETLL, etc - without stumbling through the comments and fields.

If I re-wrote that a bit:

select countynm
into :countyname
from county
where...;

then the Outline View doesn't show the reference to the COUNTY table.
Which is sort of unhelpful, since the general push is toward SQL. So
having a tool that meshes with our future would be a Good Thing.

I myself still avoid the Outline View because I find several places
where it misses things vs the cross reference generated by the compiler.
Having said that, I personally consider the Outline View to be a work
in progress, and the 9.5 version is much more comprehensive than in
earlier versions. I voted for the RFE.