From: WDSCI-L [mailto:wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Buck Calabro
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 5:11 PM
To: wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] search & compile options

On 10/23/2015 4:18 PM, Greg Wilburn wrote:
Let's say I change a database file... now I need to recompile all of the RPGLE members that reference that file. I have the iSphere plugin, and have a list of all programs in given source member that need compiled. I was hoping I could simply select all of them and use one of my compile options... but it doesn't seem like I can do that.

What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

Easiest is in the eye of the beholder, lol!

You need some setup first:
Create a User Action in RSE:
We're going to copy an existing compile command into a User Action.
Compile > Work with Compile Commands
Choose a command for say CRTBNDSQLI, and copy the entire command.
Mine looks like CRTSQLRPGI OBJ(&O/&N) SRCFILE(&L/&F) SRCMBR(&N)
REPLACE(&R) OPTION(*EVENTF) DBGVIEW(*SOURCE) RPGPPOPT(*LVL1)

Next, right click a source member > User Actions > Work With User Actions
We're going to end up pasting that compile command into a new member
action, so click New Member action.
I called my action the same as the compile command, so crtbndsqli.
Paste the compile command as-is.
Limit it to the source members you want:
In Defined Types, click the Edit... button.
Right click 'RPG' and Copy.
Click New, Member type.
I called mine SQLRPGLE
In the Member Type box, I chose SQLRPGLE, the clicked Add
Click Create and there's a new Member type. Click Close.
Now select the new member type (SQLRPGLE) and click Add>.
Click Create and we have a new action (crtbndsqli) that only works on
SQLRPGLE members. Click close.

Repeat this for other source member types like RPGLE and maybe RPT?

Setup is done, now let's use it!

I do an iSphere 'Export to member filter', open that filter. Right
click, Show In Table. Click the 'Type' column to sort them all by
member type. Select all the SQLRPGLE types in one go, right click >
User Actions > choose the user action that goes with that member type.

Soooo, easy? There's a little setup, for sure. But once done, I think
it's pretty easy. It's adaptable to several different scenarios, such
as a CM tool or home-grown compile command.