On 04-Sep-2015 08:04 -0600, Ken Killian wrote:
Running debug and I have my program issue this command:
DSPJOB OUTPUT(*PRINT) OPTION(*JOBLOG)

Which is normally very good to help me track down errors.

But the program blows up! Wow!

So I did it at the command line:
DSPJOB OUTPUT(*PRINT) OPTION(*JOBLOG)
Function check. MCH0801 unmonitored by QMHDSPJL at statement *N,
instruction X'0334'.

Why would DSPJOB at the Green-Screen command line blow up????????

Conspicuously, a defect in the OS [Message Handler] code. The likely simple circumvention is to use instead:
DSPJOBLOG OUTPUT(*PRINT)

<<SNIP>>

This just happen on our box with 7.2. It works okay works okay on
our production box, which is at 7.1.

Who knows? Maybe there is a bug in IBM i 7.2.

Conspicuously, yes. The symptom for the failing Display Job (DSPJOB) request is: msgMCH0801 T/QMHDSPJL

Our system administrator is going to install the latest greatest PTF
tomorrow on our development box.

Not sure if that is an implication that the cumulative and\or HIPer PTF maintenance will be applied...

But that specific error is resolved by a specific PTF. Searching the web or IBM service\support for PTFs with the symptom should be fruitful, and I verified so, finding [with some inferring] that:

Presumably that error having been introduced\injected by an apparently _defective_ PTF on the release IBM i 6.1 and later to be corrected with PTF SI55470 for the HIPer APAR SE60756. Presumably the same incident occurred with IBM i 7.1, giving the corrective PTF SI55456 [on C5142710] for HIPer APAR SE60717. And for IBM i 7.2 either that same defect was /rolled-into/ the base OS or instead the repeat incident again there, and again corrected with HIPer APAR SE60717 is the PTF SI55458 [on C5135720].

<<SNIP>>