On 02-Sep-2015 16:07 -0600, Vernon Hamberg wrote:
Even today SEU (I had said PDM) will not edit a source PF with record
length > 252 - never has been able to.

I can and have always been able to ,best I can recall, indirectly, via a Source Logical File (LF-SRC). Just make the source-data field 240A or shorter.

We've been able to specify a length up to 32,766 since at least V3R2
- that's the oldest CL reference I have access to.

If you have S/38E installed, try prompting CRTSRCPF.QSYS38 RCDLEN(32000) to see if there are errors diagnosed; the command may not even exist by CPF-8.? I am guessing that the 32K capability has been available since the System/38, notably because the command to create a Source Physical File was Create Physical File (CRTPF) using the File Type (FILETYPE) specification of *SRC and a DDS-PF source member.

<<SNIP>>

Consider this reply to be a peer-moderation comment; per seemingly, there is no moderator [interested in keeping threads clean of fluff] for this group: If everyone would please rewrite the subject line for their off-topic posts\replies... or take them where they are on-topic. Please /tag/ the subject with [nostalgia] or [old-fogies], something consistent, so those disinterested can /filter/ those posts.