On Wed, 2015-09-02 at 16:26 +0000, Ken Killian wrote:
Have heard of Word-Wrap? <smirk>

Why be tied to 60-year-plus 80-column old punch cards??? That every RPG Developer I know has NEVER used punch cards!

Sorry, I don't know any fossil-type that wrote RPG code on Punch Cards. That was WAY BEFORE my time! Thank goodness!

Funny that you should mention that, because the "standard" for the Linux
kernel is, on the whole, 80 characters - with limited exceptions. (1)

I currently have a couple of super-wide monitors (21:9), and the extra
real estate is fantastic, however, because I run wdsc7 (I'm still
re-learning after a time away) I need a virtual windows machine so my
actual screen is limited to "normal wide" (16:9).

When I then add in having two members open all the time, the "code" and
the "prototypes" or caller and service program - side by side - the
screen feels feels much smaller and I'm forever scrolling the width or
moving the members split line.

Using much longer lines would probably, in my humble opinion, probably
cause more problems than solutions for most developers working on
normal sized (4:3) monitors.

That all said my new code rarely, if ever, has more than 2 (3 at the
most) nesting levels so even with 5 spaces of indentation there is
usually more than enough room not to require multi-line statements
except where a (procedure) call has multiple parameters.

Then again, where as I used to use multiple nested conditions with the
old fixed format style of RPG; with the free-format style (using much
smaller procedures than fixed format subroutines) I tend to use a lot of
"return" and "leave/iter" statements to get out of a procedure/loop
instead of large nested conditionals.

(1) https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/CodingStyle