A nice shortcut for seeing everything on a line is Alt-Shift-H - it shows the line in hex 3 ways - Unicode, UTF-8, and EBCDIC.

Vern

On 8/14/2015 9:01 AM, Mike Hockings wrote:
Hmmm, that typing behaviour sounds suspicious. Have you tried closing all
your edit sessions and clearing the cache? However it may very well be
due to some bad characters in the file causing the character position in
the data not line up with the visual character position. Could it be that
this file has been edited locally with a PC editor at some point? I would
look on the affected line(s) for characters that are not displayed.

Mike

Mike Hockings, M.Eng., P.Eng.
IBM Rational Developer for System z and Power Systems Software Technical
Support
IBM Canada Ltd. Laboratory
hockings@xxxxxxxxxx

From: "Mark Murphy/STAR BASE Consulting Inc."
<mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio
Client for System i & iSeries <wdsci-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2015-08-14 08:16
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] Fw: RDi stops responding during interactive debug
Sent by: "WDSCI-L" <wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have noticed it, and just written it off to flakiness of RDi. There are
several little things that bug me, but not enough to complain about it, and
also because it is so hard for me to open a PMR. I sometimes can see the
values popup, and sometimes can't. If a data structure has anonymous fields
in it, the values display properly in the monitor view when the DS is
added, but as soon as a value in the DS changes, everything below the first
anonymous field is wrong. Monitor and Variables views get confused with
scope: Variables does not always contain all "in-scope" variables, and
Monitor sometimes looses track of global variables. On the plus side, if a
DS with anonymous fields does appear in the variables view, all fields have
the correct value, even after changes.

Apart from the debugger, there is other flakiness. Sometimes when typing
after moving the cursor, the cursor skips two positions after the first
character is typed. So if I have something like CHAIN RRN RECORD;, and I
want to put a data structure in there after the record name, I position the
cursor to just before the ';', and type ' DSNAME'. Sometimes it works
properly and I end up with CHAIN RRN RECORD DSNAME;, but sometimes I get
this CHAIN RRN RECORD ;DSNAME. It is relatively frequent, maybe a dozen
times a day. I would like to blame my keyboard or fat fingers on this, but
RDi is the only application this happens with, and it only happens after
the first character typed.

I am using Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit, RDi 9.1.1.1

Mark Murphy
STAR BASE Consulting, Inc.
mmurphy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx