Looking at this video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8lHLSjWBRY I don't see any branches created at all and it is doing the same as I'm trying... however I just started from scratch once more but as soon as I pull changes as second user it marks the project as "rebase w/ merge" (it does show up the red carrets and allows me to merge and commit/push fine however).

I've read lots of things but so far I couldn't find a simple example that explains how to work with two developers (instead they all start with multiple complex branches which doesn't make understanding the basics any easier).

As far as gitignore is concerned... unlike in Svn, you need to add everything to Git yourself or nothing happens with it, so what is the point of having a gitignore (unless you would commit with -a which eGit isn't clearly doing as I don't see any of the Rational files on Github appearing).

Still totally lost :(

From: WDSCI-L [wdsci-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] on behalf of Wilson, Jonathan [piercing_male@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 03, 2015 22:59
To: Rational Developer for IBM i / Websphere Development Studio Client for System i & iSeries
Subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] EDi 9.1 and eGit

On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 18:57 +0000, Paul Nicolay wrote:
The whole idea of branches (both on the repository and local) and the need for them is still a bit unclear to me (Subversion was easier in that context).

In both projects (which simulate two users) I just cloned the github repository... after which I started the test scenario.

Project 1: Change source A
Project 1: Commit and push
Project 2: Change source A
Project 2: Commit and push (not allowed)
Project 2: Pull

... and here I've seen already various things (I restared several times all over).

What I would expect is the red marks for conflicts on source A but that doesn't happen (currently it does happen but I get the rebase stuff).

Yeah, thats why I think that creating a branch on which to work is the
way to go as it keeps the "older/master" branch away from your
development work.

I also have the impression that it does show up in Project Explorer but not in the I projects Navigator view ?

With my setup I have the following in the .gitignore file within the
working directory:
# The folowing works at WDSC7* however later versions may increase or
change the root directory structure.
#
# Ignoring these files means they will not be saved/restored by git so
that your current settings will not be changed.
#
# Ignore the directory .metadata in root which is used by eclipse/WDSC
to store settings (display, layout, etc.)
/.metadata/
# Ignore the RemoteSystems* directories in root (used by WDSC to store
connection and remote file details)
/RemoteSystems*/
# Ignore .settings (directory), .iseries_project_properties
(file), .project (file) only if they are one level up.
/*/.settings/
/*/.iseries_project_properties
/*/.project

This way only the data files, library (directory)/file
(directory)/member (.rpgle) files are archived to the git repository.

The files related to the running of eclipse and wdsc are all excluded,
including the project (.iseries_project_properties) files but obviously
in a known end user set up some of these files can be included.

One thing I found was a lot of the "run time" set up of wdsc (/.metadata
& /*/.settings/) is part of how the project looks and is open on screen
so is not part of "the project" as such, which also include things like
explorer/project views. But if you try and keep some of the files within
the Git repository it gets very messy with files the program
creates/re-creates/changes being pulled from underneath eclipse when
checking out older commits for review.

I'm guessing that the default for egit probably includes some of the
above which might be why the i navigator view doesn't change.

I have found that if I clone and just create empty "holding" projects
that point to the directories git is tracking then just doing a refresh,
squirly arrows, sees what is in the directories and re-builds the
outline projects explorer view.