On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 20:29 +0000, Paul Nicolay wrote:
Quoting from one of your posts...

"the fact that Git effectively makes branching obligatory before a developer can even begin work does suggest that things could get out of hand quite quickly."

Well the master branch must exist :-/

... clearly indicates that I'm missing something.

As long as I don't have conflicts it works fine without a single branch... but does it mean I need them or not ?

Yeah I'm fairly sure the first thing that should be done is create a
branch off the master. On my setup I created 3 orphaned branches
"master" "original" and "development" which initially stored almost the
same things... development has progressed, however if the branch
"development" was a primary branch and I was doing this in a multi user
set up I would make each user create their own branch after first
checking out the primary/master branch.

Only when all development was complete would the local branches be
pushed and merged into the primary branch on the master repository.

Its also possible when 2 people are doing stuff on a branch from a
branch to pull direct from their repository, merge the changes locally
to the master branch, then carry on working and all your sources should
(should!) now show the changes even though the "central/master"
repository has not yet recieved the changes to its master.

It's very flexible, but at the same time the concept of no "one true
master" (unless you want and set up one) can be a bit of a "do what?"
the first time.