On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 14:16 +0000, Paul Nicolay wrote:
Hi,

Is anyone using the eGit plugin for RPG version control ?

While this seems to work fine in single user mode (not the main idea of version control) I can't get a simple conflict working when two developers touch the same code. Either this is an eGit issue or my knowledge of Git might me missing something.

My test scenario is based on having twice the same repository loaded (offcourse with a different base directory) so I have two different IBM i projects. Performing a change on Project 1, member A, Commit & Push this works fine.

The problem starts when I change Project 2, member A. Trying to commit and push this results in a rejected message, so far so good, but trying a pull then results in my project being marked as "Rebase w/ merge origin/master" ? (and I do get the red conflict marks)

Reading that again, did you create a new branch on each
"machine" (directory) then push the changes from "machine one, branch A"
and merge it into the master, then on "machine two" re-pull the master
branch which should, in theory, merge/roll forward the changes from
"master" into your "branch A". (Personally I would even call the two
local "machines" branches by different names as well).

I think, but am not totally sure, that two developers creating commits
to the master branch (Git clone, git checkout _master_, do stuff,
commit, more stuff, commit, push - done on two "machines") becomes more
complex to handle as both users are working directly on one branch (the
master) so that when you pull the now changed master you must integrate
the changes into your own master path instead of just updating "the
master" and its new state being reflected (applied) to all your
commits.

Sorry I can't be much more help, as that's about where my knowledge runs
out.

Strangely this is different from by previous attempts where I didn't get the red conflict marks ?? (or did I somehow mess up my repository) ?

Anyway, looking for other RDI/eGit users...

Kind regards,

Paul