On Mon, 2015-08-03 at 11:49 -0400, Robert Mullis wrote:
We are looking for a CMS system. I was under the impression that eGit (or
git) didn't recognize source files.

Git doesn't care about the file type or the content type when on a PC.
Its just standard text files when using wdsc.

I'm currently using git to help track changes I'm doing along with a
blog I'm working on which I'm hosing locally (surprisingly easy to set
up a local wordpress installation) and will eventually upload both to
github and wordpress.com when its progressed enough.

I am using the command git however as wdsc7 doesn't support eGit, but
apart from that it should be no different. I would say however that I'm
only using it as a single user, so don't have to handle merge conflicts
or re-basing.

As far as I know, just as long as you create a branch for new, per-user,
work locally after the initial clone all you need to do is pull changes
from the master repository and master branch (or what ever is considered
to be the "master" branch) and then possibly re-base to pull in the
changes to your current branch. On the "server/master" "--bare" git
repository you handle the pushes (or pulls) and merges to the "master
branch".

One of the things I really disliked was the naming, where a master git
can have a master branch and setting up the links between them you could
also create an upstream name called master. All very confusing the first
time I set it up, then deleted it and started all over again, at least
three times.

It doesn't help that your local repository is also a copy of the master
repository that just happens to live inside your working directory and
the true master repository doesn't have a working directory.

Once you get used to it, it starts to make sense and the ability to just
scrap the whole local working directory and pull the master when you
totally muck up, or to pull back to a commit for similar reasons is very
useful. I even made a change to an earlier commit and saw that it rolled
the change forward to two commits that had been made after the commit I
changed, that was quite a nice feeling.

You can tell, however, that it was written and designed as needed so
some things just feel "wrong" where a command performs multiple
different functions (git rm is the most obvious example) instead of
having separate commands.