You would not need to specify the repositories in order for Installation
Manager (IM) to find the update.  You just need to update IM to at least
1.8 level.  It sounds like IM detected it had a newer version available but
then it crashed (which is not related to the SSL changes).  You might try
doing the download of IM 1.8.2.1 manually and updating it.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24039708 has details.
Once it is updated, you will be able to use 'Update' to get RDi 9.1.1.1.
Alternatively, you can stay at the current IM level but use the zip
download of RDi 9.1.1.1.
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24039445 has details.

Thanks,
Eric

 Eric Simpson
 Rational Developer for i - Rational Developer for
 AIX and Linux - Rational Developer for Power
 IBM Software Group - Canada Lab
 Phone: 905-413-3226  (T/L: 313-3226)
 esimpson@xxxxxxxxxx