On Fri, Apr 10, 2015 at 4:25 AM, Paul Bailey <PaulBailey@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I hate to think that I am part of group (3) but it is entirely possible. I installed Eclipse Monkey a long time ago and I never really found a use for it. The examples provided weren't terribly useful and didn't inspire me to create anything I needed, so perhaps I am a drone.

Sorry, it was careless of me to imply that anyone who doesn't have the
urge to script their editor is a drone. If it's true, then I am one
too, and I don't even use anything close to the power of Eclipse. (My
primary editors are SEU and SciTE, the latter of which is roughly in
the same class as Notepad++.)

I'd like to stress that (1) and (2) [that Eclipse itself and its rich
ecosystem might provide so much functionality that there is little
need for scripting] were not meant sarcastically.

Also, if I load a source member that has an associated DSPF/PRTF source member, then I might want to have that source member loaded at the same time. I suspect that would require a proper plugin, but maybe an eclipse script could do it?

I'm almost positive that if you can get EASE to work with your RDi
installation (not a given), you can accomplish this with a script.
The architecture of Eclipse is such that it can expose a tremendous
amount (if not all) of its functionality through EASE. I'm actually
not sure what you can do with a "proper" plug-in that you can't do
with EASE.

So why would folks do plug-ins rather than EASE scripts? Well, of
course one reason is that EASE is comparatively new. Another is that
plug-ins might be able to perform better (think compiled versus
interpreted). Another is that some folks may prefer the
packaging/distribution characteristics of plug-ins. And finally,
there may indeed be some things that you can accomplish with a plug-in
that you can't with EASE.

John Y.