The installation packages are large--much, much larger than RPG Next Gen.
But there's a reason. RDi is *much* more than just an editor. It's a very
richly featured development environment. We don't get all the Eclipse
features in the basic RDi install, but most things can be installed in the
same package group. So you can develop HTML, RPG, COBOL, Java, C, and the
list goes on and on.

I'm obviously sold. I bought into it long ago--in the CODE days, but I
have only positive things to say. I'm wont lie and say it's without
shortcomings or flaws--show me a program that doesn't. I know I cringe at
my own code at times. I've had to make design decisions that I wish
something else had been practical. Sometimes decisions have to be made
because it's what's practical, but far from ideal. But the developers are
very responsive. If there's something lacking, we can enter an RFE to
request it. If enough people want it (indicated by garnering sufficient
votes) and it's practical to do, it becomes a part of the package.

I download the zip-files and maintain a repository on our network. So
anyone else can install and update locally. Installing from scratch on a
new system takes less than half an hour. That includes additional plug-ins
and basic configuration. What takes the most time is the learning curve.
But I think most people can get comfortable and productive in a few days.
There will always be more to learn with a product this large and feature
laden. For training, I would suggest COMMON, the RPG & DB2 Summit, or any
other place you can get training. Jon and Susan have maintained some very
good stuff on their websites http://www.partner400.com and
http://www.systemideveloper.com.

If I recall correctly, IBM maintains a youtube channel with some good
stuff. Search around, There's a lot of help available. And don't forget
this list. There's a whole host of people more than willing to share ideas
and help with problems. And as you've seen, the development team from
Toronto participates actively. DISCLAIMER: They do this as they have time.
It is not part of their job. But they really are a great group of people
who want us to succeed at our jobs as developers.

And don't take the above as knocking the work people have done on other
editors. There's a time and a place. The old saying rings true about using
the right tool for the right job.