On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 3:56 PM, Buck Calabro <kc2hiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/17/2015 2:17 PM, John Yeung wrote:
4) Open member for edit in SEU, press End - cursor goes to column 42.

Here is where you must be careful. How does the End key know where to
go? I don't believe it's a function of SEU.

SEU doesn't see keystrokes. It sees screen buffers. This is the Tao of
5250. :-)

Fine, but I think that hurts your case more than it hurts mine. ;)

My contention has always been that positioning the cursor just beyond
the last nonblank character is not an SEU function. I would actually
go further and say that positioning the cursor and "trimming blanks"
are not even that closely related. And SEU does neither of them.

I think Vern explained it well. The function is a field-level 5250
function. It works on any input-capable field, regardless of whether
you're in SEU.

If you aren't as ancient as I am you may not realise that the 5250
emulator software we're all using today is intended to emulate a
physical keyboard which hasn't existed for decades. You can see them
here:
https://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzakc/rzakcmstdfdt.htm

Well, actually, what I learned on was something similar to this:

http://www.mcpressonline.com/articles/images/2002/ThinClientProductReviewV604.jpg

I guess that's not as ancient as the keyboard you're talking about,
but it's still a dedicated 5250 keyboard with no emulator (in the
Client Access sense, at least).

Having said that, I prefer End to work in a 5250 window as it does
everywhere else. I like Ctrl-Enter for 5250 Newline.

When I transitioned from a 5250 terminal to a PC with 5250 emulator, I
had to make some choices. I wanted to preserve some of the 5250
muscle memory I'd built up, and I wound up with a very strange hybrid
of 5250-like and PC-like functions. I had never really yearned for
End-Field, so I didn't bother wasting a keymap slot for it.

John Y.