On 19-Jan-2015 01:03 -0600, Thomas Raddatz wrote:

<<SNIP>> I am pretty sure that SBREAK nn USER *ALL worked in the past
and that it is broken now. User *ALL is not documented as far as I
can see. But SBREAK on a green screen seems to accept *ALL because:

a) it is accepted by the debugger in contrast to an non-existing
user profile

b) it takes longer to execute SBREAK nn USER *ALL than
SBREAK nn USER profile

I tried that SBREAK [using green-screen debug] on a v5r3 system with thousands of user profiles, and the wait is very conspicuous. During that wait, the job is running the Librarian: List Object (QLILIST) program invoked by the Security: Retrieve User Authority To Object (QSYRUSRA) API invoked by the Debugger: (CheckAut) routine from the Debugger: (isUserAuthorized) routine initiated from the Debugger (RPG_SBreak_Statement_2) procedure; in my case, until the debugger eventually\finally issued an error msg CPF0609 "Not allowed to use specified user profile.", almost as if just one specific [not generic] user profile had been named.

Possibly it seemed, the Debugger was effectively listing every *USRPRF object to which the minimally required authority is available to my user profile requesting the SBreak; in my case, there will be _none_ to which I am authorized, except myself, so the messaging seemed a bit obtuse for not choosing to [or not being able to] distinguish between unauthorized to all, to some, or to myself... if indeed the special value(s) *ALL [and *] intend to imply activating the SEP breakpoint for /any user profile/ on the system.

Yet the stack seemed unchanging [I have no ability to trace], so the effect seemed to be that the API was invoking the List-Object, yet the API implies nothing about the ability to specify a Generic* name nor Special-Value; neither the lone asterisk nor the value *ALL are documented.
<http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/ssw_ibm_i_72/apis/qsyrusra.htm>

So I tested myself by invoking the API directly with the '*' and saw the _same stack_ I noted above; except of course, the API being called by my program rather than the debugger. Possibly then, the SEP breakpoint will not establish for *ALL users whenever authority is lacking to any one *USRPRF object; one would expect then, that the API call from CheckAut would be bypassed, if the requesting user has the *ALLOBJ Special Authority.? However that seems daft, as there is no indication nor apparent capability of the API to return information for more than one object.? Is the API possibly returning information about the last user profile, or the last user profile to which the requesting user has some authority; hard to know, without knowing what was the LI-List Object request was, such as whether an authority mask was passed-in.

So anyhow... The same two things, a) and b) can be said about the lone asterisk as a special value. Of course, that a value is accepted and takes longer to process, is not necessarily a clear indication of the effect; the logical assumption by a reader, is that /in the past/ the breaking for the SEP was verified to occur irrespective of user profile name, having been tested minimally to include a user other than the UsrPrf requesting the SBREAK which is the default UsrPrf when no USER was specified.? The reply by Matt seems to suggest success in that regard, yet the reply by Jon seemed to suggest not; we do not know of course, what was [the extent of] their test.

In case my asides seems a mere misdirect, the implication is that perhaps trying * instead of *ALL might have a different effect at the GUI debugger, regardless the same apparent effect on the green screen for both special values. Regardless, I am still unaware what the true effect is [for use of asterisk or *ALL] beyond the extra time required to apparently extract the authority of every user profile object [and I presume for the *CURRENT user] before activating the SEP breakpoint; i.e. whether that SEP breakpoint is established irrespective the invoking user profile, I can not test, and that effect seems a tenuous possibility given the aforementioned.

<<SNIP>>