The managers are right. Within an exising block of code - - however you want to define a "Block of Code", be it Do-loop, Subroutine, If statements - - The code style should be consistent with those that went before you. -OR- Change the style of the entire block of code to free-form. That means getting rid of the dreaded MOVE Opcodes . . . .

So if you are making changes, just change the lines - the style is the same.

But if you are adding something new, try to get it into the form of a SubProc - - or even a subroutine. . .
so then you get a chance to use a long name to describe it,
and you get a chance to add your code to the bottom of the program, outside of the previous code, so Free-Form it all you want.

- John Voris

On the other hand, there are managers that insist that enhancements to fixed-format programs be done in fixed format too (for whatever tenuous reason).
Usually it's an older program that just never gets updated . . .