Thanks John I'm going to check that info.

By the way we already use this tool:
https://code.google.com/p/ibmprogramtracer/
That tool is very helpful but if the Code Coverage in the RDi gets better
we are thinking to replace it, so we get support directly from IBM.

-Armando Soto.

A LITTLE OFF-TOPIC . . . Looking for a Green-screen Trace Tool

At the same time that Armando is looking at RDp v9, I have been looking
elsewhere for Trace tools.
The one I found still has the problem of any new Batch job being placed
under Debug, but it is for me, an interesting search for other tools that
Trace code.

Besides the new RDi function, I recently found an interesting open-source
Green-Screen Trace product. Since we are only running RDi 8 (not RDi 9)
and we just do so much in Green Screen and batch, I wanted to see what this
other, older offering had. As one of the iPro article indicates, you can
almost "wear out the F10 Step Key" using the Green-Screen debugger STRDBG,
and putting machine-time to work instead of human-time would be useful. So
I wanted to see what this Trace (which is just another tool in our toolbag)
had to offer.

By googling, I found a nice tool at the www.vlegaci.com<
http://www.vlegaci.com> website, but they do not have any open source
option posted anymore (404 page not found for their TSX RPG tool).
There is a write-up about their tool in June 2009
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/productnews/Codelyzer that shows their
Gui charts of their product, and also Databorough's X-Analysis tool is
mentioned in many articles.

But I came back to the article
http://iprodeveloper.com/rpg-programming/handling-giant-programs-use-trace-tools-demystify-program-behavior
which shows what a simple text-based trace tool can offer up
(A Trace tool can even help me document for SOX compliance the changed
code and code coverage of my tests.)

Finally, I did find a different article of a free Trace Utility with
source.
This function is like the old S/38 ADDTRC command which was so helpful in
some instances - - and this one has the necessary match of source lines to
source statements that modern tools should have.
http://search400.techtarget.com/tip/Utility-helps-you-trace-RPGLE-programs
( As with anything you find on the internet, utilities should be reviewed
for malware and bad stuff, and examination of the source and it's API calls
passed muster in our shop.)

And as code gets refactored, the free-form Indenter command I use which
can run in batch or RDi is a timesaver, too,
http://jplamontre.free.fr/AS400/INDENT.htm

P.S.
http://iprodeveloper.com/rpg-programming/handling-giant-programs-refactoring-rpg-spaghetti-code
mentions Martin Fowler.
I would also say read Michael Feathers book, too, to truly understand
refactoring strategies.

- John Voris

------------------------------

date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 14:58:06 -0600
from: Armando Soto
subject: [WDSCI-L] Deep Code Coverage

Hi, I've been testing the new code coverage feature and I like it but
there is something that I can't do yet.

I want to run a code coverage in a program that makes a call or a sbmjob
to another program, and I want to see the report to the program that has
been called too and not only the main program. I've tried to add the others
programs in the What to Analyse tab but that doesn't work.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if what I'm trying to do is
not supported yet.