There has been numerous arguments showing that many of us use various Liblists to compile source with. And that yes, it can be confusing to know where you are in RSE or Table Views.
So I thought I would summarize how I manage Liblists .aka. Environments .aka. Connections.

#1 I set the Liblist on each Connetion with *JOBD.
This is the Compiling *JOBD of various Liblists leftover from the SEU days

But I have found that getting Connections set up right using *JOBD is a pain, because what I think I did to finally get this to work is have ONLY one connection open when I set the *JOBD settings on the panel Connections > Subsystems > Commands. After setting it, you have to close the connection,
Then you have to open the next connection to set the next *JOBD. And so on.

#2 I have a right-click User Action that does a PRTLIBL.
My User Action is a simple command DSPLIBL *PRINT, and back on the green screen side, then WRKSPLF shows me a QPRTLIBL report that shows me the library list of the Liblist in effect.
( Because of how User Actions work, I had to create two User Actions, a PRTLIBL for Members, and a PRTLIBL for Objects. )

When the user action runs, a panel of the connection opens a panel on the Commands Log which show which connection is open.
This "Joblog" of the Command/User Action shows me my User Action and it also shows what connection I am using. The Connection Name is in the Panel Tab-Name.

If I do my right-click User Action on a source member on a different Connection, then what I see in the "Commands Log", is that a new panel is created and the panel Tab-Name is the current Connection Name.
So now I know where I am in my stack of projects and connections, and I am ready to compile, or ready to edit and find the copybooks, etc.

- John Voris

subject: Re: [WDSCI-L] SQL Strangeness

So what you're doing, and others, is finding ways to manage groups
of source for certain projects - Mark's dilemma is one I'd not thought
of, either.

But I think the information is there, albeit not in the form we want . . .

. . . But if you open the source via the Object Table rather than the RSE tree (which is how I work),
it can be very difficult to determine which connection was used to open a member . . .