Jim,

You may also consider to use Dieter Bender's "Create" utility. With this
utility you can store the object creation command as a comment in your
source member and execute it from there. It is also possible to execute
multiple commands like this:

D*B OVRDBF SOURCE QRPGLESRC
D*B+ OVRSCOPE(*JOB)
D*B CRTRPGMOD CRTCPP
D*B+ DBGVIEW(*SOURCE)
D*B+ REPLACE(*YES)
D*B CRTPGM CRTCPP
D*B+ BNDDIR(QC2LE)
D*B+ ACTGRP(CRTCPP)
D*B+ DETAIL(*FULL)
D*B DLTOVR *ALL LVL(*JOB)

The utility is pretty neat and easy but it does not have a command
interface. It is a pure program. However it is not that difficult to add a
simple command interface with parameters SRCFILE, SRCLIB and SRCMBR. You
can get it from:

http://www.bender-dv.de/

Then click on "Freeware" and download the following files:

- Header für ILE Programmerstellungs Utility
- Prototyp für API QMHSNDPM zum senden Programm Message
- Prototyp für C API system()
- ILE Programmerstellungs Utility

My own utility STRPREPRC is more complex, because I actually wrote it to
be used with Softlanding's Turnover. It uses the following syntax:

*===============================================================*
* >>PRE-COMPILER<< *
* >>CRTCMD<< CRTRPGMOD MODULE(&LI/&OB) + *
* SRCFILE(&SL/&SF) + *
* SRCMBR(&SM); *
* >>COMPILE<< *
* >>PARM<< TRUNCNBR(*NO); *
* >>PARM<< DBGVIEW(*LIST); *
* >>END-COMPILE<< *
* >>EXECUTE<< *
* >>CMD<< CRTPGM PGM(&LI/&OB) + *
* MODULE(&LI/&OB) + *
* BNDSRVPGM(*LIBL/BASICS1 + *
* *LIBL/PRTLOG ) + *
* BNDDIR(*LIBL/QC2LE) + *
* DETAIL(*BASIC) + *
* ACTGRP(*NEW); *
* >>END-PRE-COMPILER<< *
*===============================================================*

In the example above you specify a basic creation command (which can also
be passed at the command prompt, e.g. from Turnover), followed by the
overridden parameter values. The final creation command is executed at the
EXECUTE<< tag.

Right before and after the >>EXECUTE<< tag you can use the >>CMD<< marker
to execute additional commands. Of course you do not necessarily use the
'&' variables (filled by Turnover) but hard coded values.

If that is too much, you can strip everything down to:

*===============================================================*
* >>PRE-COMPILER<< *
* >>CMD<< CRTRPGMOD MODULE(&LI/MYMOD) + *
* SRCFILE(&SF/&SL) SRCMBR(&SM); *
* >>CMD<< CRTPGM PGM(&LI/MYPGM) + *
* MODULE(&LI/MYMOD); *
* >>END-PRE-COMPILER<< *
*===============================================================*

Last but not least the utility can update the object description with the
source file and member, because we also use it to script the creation of
non source objects, such as data areas, data queues, job descriptions,
etc.

This is how I use it from RDi:

STRPREPRC USESRCFILE(&L/&F) USESRCMBR(&N)
CHGOBJD(*NO)
SRCLIB(&L) SRCFILE(&F) SRCMBR(&N)
TGTRLS(*CURRENT)
USER1(*LIST) USER2(*EVENTF) USER3(DEBUG_YES)

You can downlaod the utility from here:

http://www.tools400.de/English/Freeware/Utilities/utilities.html

The advantage of both utilities is that you can create all types of
objects with a single command, because the actual creation command is
stored in the source member and hence cannot get lost.

Thomas.