Gqcy,

First question :
"what did you use for a process to migrate from physical source files to a IFS repository?"

I didn't migrate to physical source to IFS.
New projects are made under my supervision as a software architect.
Which mean they are layered (presentation layer, business logic layer and data layer), and some other stuff.
I tell more in two previous topics on rpg400-l@midrange =>
First topic : "RPG - Software Architecture / Best practices" : http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/201301/msg00368.html
Second topic: "Software Architecture / Best practices -> Debriefing" : http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/201309/msg00036.html

The point is, I didn't migrate previous projects, they have no meaning in a layered architecture.
All was made from scratch.

Second question :
"isn't there some limitation on what types of objects you can create from IFS source?"

Well, there are some.
The limitation I can think about are:
- compiled objects have to remain in qsys, even if sources are not. This is not trivial, that mean if qsys rules don't apply to the sources (like the 10 character limitation), they apply to the modules, programs, or other service programs I compile.
- Which mean I can create a rpgle source with more than 10 characters, but I will have to rename it at compile time. The module can't keep the name.
- I can have many folder levels in the ifs, but I have to compile everything as modules on the same level with unique names (or on different library, which could be really tricky)
- I can't compile CL in the IFS. (maybe I can now, in 7.1) => I use shell script with qsh instead, which seems more adapted to the IFS to me (+ no need to compile). I could use a makefile script too.
- Beware the ccsid, character transformation happen.
- Some other compilation are not supported from the ifs, like sqlrpgle (or were not until 7.1), so I had to compile source from ifs to qsys as a source inclunding all /copy references, and compile this source as a module. I do that most of the time, the first compilation helps me to know if I have some missing references, and the second if there is something else.

I had to choose some rules to keep everything consistent.
This is it basically.
If you want to know more, tell me.

Charles